"No matter how terrified you may be, own your fear and take that leap anyway because whether you land on your feet or on your butt, the journey is well worth it."
-- Laurie Laliberte
"If your dreams do not scare you, they are not big enough."
-- Ellen Johnson Sirleaf
"Life shrinks or expands in proportion to one's courage."
-- Anais Nin

Monday, June 7, 2010

Part Three--"Sum of the Parts"

*Just a reminder: The pattern I'm referencing is by Linda Potts, aka WolfDreamer, and may be found at http://wolfdreamer-oth.blogspot.com/2009/08/toad-and-toadette.html. While you're there, take a few minutes to check out her blog; she's got some great patterns for free and for sale. (I bought Darwin the Dinosaur a few months ago.)*

I decide to take a couple of days away from the body in an effort to save my sanity. In that time, I'm able to finish all of the smaller pieces. The only glitch I encounter is that the spots for Toad/Toadette's hat are a bit larger than I would like. That's an easy fix: instead of using half double crochet for the second round, I use single crochet. This maintains the integrity of the design while shrinking the finished product by just a hair.

The instructions are so easy to follow that while I crochet I'm able to catch up on the many episodes of "V" that I've missed. I sit at the table in front of my laptop and toggle between HULU and WolfDreamer's blog. (Did I mention one of the reasons I crochet so much is to keep me from snacking in front of the TV?) The only part I find difficult is the arm. The arms are so little that I need to pay close attention to what I'm doing. LOL...That's what "pause" is for!

I check my parts list to make sure I haven't missed anything and let out a heavy sigh as I turn to the dreaded task of crocheting the body. In one last ditch effort to procrastinate, I pull all the pieces I've made and "dry fit" Toadette. That's when the light bulb turns on in my brain! The body is supposed to have a "bubble butt!" If it didn't then the body would be top heavy once the vest is added. There's nothing wrong with my piece...YAY! Well, okay, I did figure out that I had accidentally skipped a row in the instructions, but that won't be a problem since I already took apart the first body I made. Now that I've found the reason for the deformity, I've got the motivation to finish crocheting.

I don't recommend this to anyone, but I put off stuffing any of my pieces until they are all finished. The spheres for Toadette's braids really should get stuffed as I crochet, but stuffing the finished product through the small hole at the top is not really as difficult as it may sound. Anyhow, the stuffed pieces look great and I can now focus on final assembly.

No comments:

Post a Comment